284 views
0
0 Comments

My 8 year old Rottweiler/Pitbull/boxer mix, Hercules is CONSTIPATED. And has been for two days. I was seeing what we had in the medicine cabinet and put ex-lax chews on the kitchen table. When I came back to the kitchen he had eaten four chocolate ex-lax chews. He’s large and doesn’t strain AT ALL to reach the table. His head is almost higher than it. Is it okay that he took ex-lax chews and he’s already been constipated for two days?

Edited question
0

As with any toxin question, I would recommend calling the ASPCA poison control hotline at (888) 426-4435.   They can give you information specific to the drug that was ingested and let you know if a trip to the veterinarian is required.  If you are not able to call them right away, then make sure you go to the veterinarian straight away as chocolate can be life-threatening to dogs if they consume enough.  While it is unlikely that the dose of chocolate is large enough to cause any harm, it is always better to be on the safe side.

Ingestion of laxatives can sometimes be okay, but should only under the direction of a veterinarian as some of them are not safe for animals.  Chocolate is never okay to give dogs and can cause chocolate toxicity.

Answered question