276 views
0
0 Comments

My dog drank the rest of my starbucks peppermint dark chocolate hot cocoa I made from a 1oz packet. He had less than 1/4 of it, should I take him to the vet?

Answered question
0

Chocolate toxicity is one of the most common foods that cause toxicity in dogs.  Dark chocolate is especially bad.  For more information about chocolate toxicity I recommend checking out this article:

https://www.vetbabble.com/dogs/health-dogs/chocolate-toxicity-in-dogs/

There is a link to a chocolate toxicity calculator in the article as well which helps estimate the dose that your dog has eaten.  However, it is important to note that not all dogs are created equally and the calculator is only an estimate.

As for your question about going to the veterinarian, it generally depends on the dose and type of chocolate that your dog received.  I recommend calling the ASPCA poison control at (888) 426-4435

There will be a charge for their service, but they can pass the information to your vet if a trip is warranted and they are available 24×7.

Answered question
You are viewing 1 out of 1 answers, click here to view all answers.